Saturday, October 15, 2016

Having a Class Pet


Meet Kevin!  He is our class pet.  I had really wanted to get a pet for the kids, but I was afraid it would be too expensive and time consuming.  I began researching online and praying.  PetMD had a great article on class pets: http://www.petmd.com/exotic/slideshows/care/best-classroom-pets
I liked the idea of getting a bearded dragon.  I had a mentor teacher when I was in college who had bearded dragons in her classroom.  Just within ONE WEEK of praying about this issue, I heard a younger student's parent talk about wanting to find a home for her brother's bearded dragon.  By the next week, my students and I were the proud owners of a three year old bearded dragon.
The kids got to name him.  After several votes, we decided on Kevin.  I think it had to do with the Minions and Up movies. Either way, it suits him well!;)
As for taking care of him, he is SO easy!  He enjoys green veggies and meal worms.  He doesn't bite, instead he sort of "licks" his food like a frog.  The floor of his aquarium is filled with sand, so it is easy to remove any waste with a kitty litter scoop.  The kids are responsible for giving him new water everyday.  
During quiet reading time, one student a day gets to hold him in a blanket.  The blanket protects their uniforms just in case Kevin has an accident. ;) The kids love to hold him and Kevin seems to enjoy it as well.  I was unsure at first about getting a class pet, but I'm very thankful to have Kevin now!  




No comments:

Post a Comment